A sincere thank you to all of you who take the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate each one.

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Garden Therapy: A Dance with Fairies

     This Garden Therapy Thursday post is about something I did recently with the help of my grandson. We built a fairy village. I've had fairies roaming around my yard for several years.

You can see one lurking behind this hollyhock




     These were made from plywood. I found pictures of fairies and drew larger outlines of them. My husband transferred the drawings to the wood and cut them out with a jigsaw. I spray painted them black and voilà, silhouettes.


     The silhouettes were done a number of years ago. So it was time to make the fairies some homes. I bought two wooden bird houses from a craft store. My husband cut out the doorways. Rex picked the colors and painted them.



On this one I used popsicle sticks on the roof but then found I'd glued myself into a corner, so to speak. I didn't know how I was going to finish the roof, then I came up with the idea of the funnel. I'm rather pleased with the outcome. Around the windows we used pine cone seed scales. The door is also popscicle sticks and some findings from my jewelry making. We found small hinges at Home Depot so the doors really open and close.





On this one we used dried moss (from the artificial flower section) for the roof. Rex glued it on in small clumps. After we were all done I sprayed the houses with clear acrylic paint.

Here's the bridge we made. Soak the popscicle sticks in water then place inside a cup or glass to get the bend you want, let dry. The railings are made from coffee stir sticks.


     The rest of the items were bought from different places, local and on line. Once we had all our pieces Rex laid things out to his liking. I thought we would have a little stream under the bridge (colored floral flat marbles) but Rex decided we needed a lake. Here is his vision.







A thought to ponder: The world is full of magic things, patiently waiting for our senses to grow sharper.     W.B. Yeats
     

Participating in: Tuesday Garden Party

7 comments:

  1. You know how much I love your Faerie Garden (it and your Victorian Garden are my favorites - well, and the veggie gardens too, of course!) And I had such fun seeing your new faerie houses, and the at-the-time-still-under-construction little faerie village. As I recall, the lake wasn't finished yet, and I don't remember the bench or the lemonade stand! It's all so colorful and adorable, I wish I could do like Alice in Wonderland and shrink down to a size the would let me live there. :-)

    Your idea of using the funnel to finish off the conical roof continues to impress. It fits so perfectly!

    So glad you posted about your faerie garden and village, your photos are great! (And that gorgeous hollyhock, wowser!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, glad you like the finished product. It was fun making and puting things together. I've taken the village down for the winter. I was going to cover it with a tarp but then decided it would be safer to just put everything in the shed . Maybe I'll add some new items come spring. The picture of the hollyhock wasn't taken with this post in mind, but it worked out well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you put them away for the winter so they'll be protected. Then come spring it will be such fun to get them out and set them up again, and I'm sure you and Rex will also have a lot of fun finding and making new goodies to add! (Love the bird in the birdbath, too - so cute!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you. Things are put away for the winter but hope to add more touches for next season.

      Delete