This started out as a pile of dirt that was left over from the building of our house when they dug the foundation. We decided to leave it and plant flowers and shrubs on it, also a couple trees behind.
This was fine for several years, but over time we were having problems with grass growing in among the plants. It was becoming difficult to maintain. So we thought about what we could do to make maintenance easier. The following photos show the changes we made in 2008.
As you can see we decided to build a block wall. We were able to buy the concrete blocks cheaply, they came from a building that had been torn down.
The wall is starting to take shape. My husband used rebar and concrete inside the blocks to help hold them in place.
Here is the wall the following year in 2009. We faced the block with lattice and topped it with rustic tiles. The back part of the mound just slopes down to meet the ground behind.
The following photos show what the area looks like today. As you can see the plants have filled in nicely. We put down weed barrier cloth and then covered that with rocks. It is now pretty low maintenance.
And a few little embellishments for fun.
I have three different ones that glow at night
It is fun to look back at the old photos and see the transformation that has taken place over the years. Gardening is certainly not for the impatient.
A thought to ponder: " To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow."