A sincere thank you to all of you who take the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate each one.

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Ain't Nobody Got Time for That, Part one

     The New Year is a time for resolutions and new beginnings. We all have at one time made a vow to do this or not do that. All of which goes out the window by February. One thing I don't need to make a resolution about is being organized, because I am. Now I'm not bragging, I am an organized person. But the main reason I'm organized is because I'm lazy. Now you might wonder how these two things can go together. It's simple, being organized saves time and energy. If I can find an easier way to do something you can bet I'll do it.



     I can hear the moaning now, I just don't have time to get organized. I have too much stuff. Ok that's the first step in becoming organized, get rid of stuff. Don't even try to organize until you've done this step. If you say you need more containers, more cupboards, more house, then I say nooo, you need less stuff. What is clutter? It is anything you don't use, need or want.  There is plenty of information on the internet about decluttering. Two good sites that address minimalism are: Becoming MinimalistThe Minimalists. Everyone's needs are of course different. If you have children, what you need is going to be different then someone without kids. How far you want to go with minimalism is up to you. But if you do nothing else, at least become a more aware consumer. Think before you buy. 

    The first step to decluttering is to start.  Just begin with one room at a time and one drawer or closet at a time. It's amazing what you can accomplish in   15 -20 minutes. If you run across something and say "oh, I forgot I had this", it needs to go, because obviously you didn't miss or need it. Don't get caught up in the "one day" or "what if". If you haven't used something in several years what makes you think you're going to start using it now?


   Do you feel like your life is chaotic, that you never seem to get everything done? This is what clutter can do to you. Even if most of your stuff is out of sight in closets and drawers. It's still there and your subconscious knows it's there. You own your stuff, it shouldn't own you. We each must decide what is important in our life. When you're bogged down by too many things that require your care, you loose time from the things that you really want to do. Yes, it's going to take some time to declutter and organize, but in the long run you will save time, energy and frustration.


     Are you still whining that you don't have time to go through everything you own? Let me ask you this, if someone in your family asks where something is, can you put your hands on it right now? If you're spending time looking for something that you know is "around here somewhere", then you're wasting time. Even 10 - 15 minutes a day spent looking for things can add up to over an hour a week. An hour that you could have spent doing something more enjoyable. 
     Your things should have a purpose whether functional or aesthetic. I'm not saying your home should be a bare box. But if you're not using and/or enjoying your possessions then they are owning you, they are controlling your life.  By having less stuff it means less time spent deciding what to do with that stuff. Here is a blog post that can get you started: Jumpstart Decluttering



     If you really want your life to be less chaotic then you'll make time to declutter, otherwise you'll just continue to make excuses. Hopefully I've convinced you to start a house cleanse. Stop by for part two, I will go over a few things I do to keep organized. 


A thought to ponder: "Clutter isn't just the stuff in your closet it's anything that gets between you and the life that you want to be living"    Peter Walsh




No comments:

Post a Comment