A sincere thank you to all of you who take the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate each one.

Monday, July 30, 2018

Going Batty

     A few years ago I wrote a post about all the wildlife in our yard, Who's in Your Garden. We continue to enjoy visitors to our garden all year round. Like this little bunny.

Or this early robin.


Later the babies started showing up.






Here's a male duck that was waddling around our backyard. There was a female also but I was unable to get a photo.



A snake was sunning himself on the rocks and startled me when I first caught sight of him out of the corner of my eye.


Something else that has been building in our trees are paper wasps.
They can be beneficial to your garden, but when you have a family member that is very allergic, they have to go. Their nests are fasinating.



The other day someone new showed up. I was opening up our patio umbrella when something flew out very fast and landed on the window screen. Once I got the umbrella up I walked over to see what it was and I certainly was surprised to see a bat.


Some how it had gotten up into the closed umbrella.


It wandered around on the screen a bit then flew back to the umbrella. So I very carefully closed up the umbrella. Later when it was starting to get dark I opened the umbrella and the bat flew out and on his merry way. I am happy to see them around as they eat bugs, especially mosquitoes.

I was able to get this video of him.




A thought to ponder: Take a quiet walk with Mother Nature. It will nurture your                                    mind, body, and soul.


7 comments:

  1. I've never heard of a bat in a table umbrella but it would be a great dark hideout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We recently moved to a different town, and I am enjoying seeing the wildlife in my backyard. My husband counted at least 25 quail this morning, and we saw a deer running across the mountain yesterday. (I wasn't as delighted with the rattlesnake napping under our maple tree, but even he was fascinating.) Stopping by via the GRAND social.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A bat in your umbrella. That is so cool! That would make a fun picture book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for linking into Nature Notes. It was interesting seeing in the hornets nest. I love bats and have a friend who is a wildlife rehabilitator who helps bats. We see them here dipping low over the pond to get a drink at dusk...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome assortment of creatures. I don't think I would have thought to let the bat out at night--good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jackie, I enjoy your interesting posts and beautiful pics. Thank you! Donna


    ReplyDelete